Find all of our Best Smoked Meatloaf Recipes for you in one location. You will love the different types of Smoked Meatloaf The Wooden Spoon Effect has created!
Smoked Meatloaf Glaze is incredibly delicious and comes together in minutes. With just three ingredients, you will take your meatloaf from good to amazing! The homemade glaze is an inexpensive recipe that tastes better than anything you can get in a bottle.
Smoked Meatloaf Glaze Ingredients
- Brown Sugar
How To Make Smoked Meatloaf Glaze
Simply combine the ketchup, packed brown sugar, and mustard in a bowl. Whisk until well combined and add to your favorite smoked meatloaf recipe.
Can you believe how simple that was?
- Spread evenly. When adding the smoked meatloaf glaze to the meatloaf, be sure to add it evenly.
- Save a little. Reserve some of the sauce to use to dip the meatloaf in when serving. The flavor is so good; you will want to eat it with a spoon anyway!
- Bring on the heat. Love spicy food? Add a pinch of cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, or a drop of sriracha. They will add some heat without taking away from the sweetness of the glaze.
- Spicy mustard. Consider swapping the regular yellow mustard for some spicy or Dijon mustard. It’s tangy and tastes great too.
- Vinegar works. If you don’t have mustard, go ahead and swap it for some apple cider vinegar.
Can I Cut Back On The Sugar?
If you are trying to cut back on your sugar intake, you could use ketchup that has no sugar added. Then cut the brown sugar in half. The glaze won’t be as sweet but will still taste really good.
What Can I Swap The Brown Sugar For?
If you find yourself without brown sugar, don’t worry; there are plenty of swaps that will work. The easiest exchange is going to be plain white granulated sugar.
Another option is maple syrup. It’s sweet and has a lovely flavor that pairs well with the smokiness of the meatloaf.
Lastly, honey works well too. No matter which sweetener you end up going with, they all taste good. You’ll need to keep in mind that when you make swaps, it does change the original recipe, so the flavor is going to be different.
Can I Make The Smoked Meatloaf Glaze Ahead of Time?
Yes, absolutely! Prepare the glaze up to 2 weeks ahead of time. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
You can make a double batch and safe half in a mason jar to use with other recipes too. You can use it to dip fries into or add it to grilled burgers. Try it, and you’ll see how tasty it is.
Is there Anything I Could Use Instead Of Ketchup?
There is a reason that so many of us use ketchup for meatloaf glaze; it’s delicious! But if you don’t have any or just want to change the flavors, using barbecue sauce is always an option. Any flavor of barbecue sauce will work; just pick something you love.
Go ahead and add the mustard and brown sugar to it to enhance the flavors even more.
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup brown sugar (packed)
- 2 tbsp mustard
- In a small mixing bowl add the ketchup, brown sugar and mustard together
- Stir until combined
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 607Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 0mgSodium 2540mgCarbohydrates 157gFiber 2gSugar 140gProtein 4g
I am not a nutritionist. All nutrition values have been automatically generated. If you have questions, please have a professional look at the ingredients and help you with new values.
Need a good wine to go with your dinner or dinners? Look to see what our friends at Wired For Wine has to offer!