Find all of our Desserts with Applesauce Recipes in one location. You will love the different types of Applesauce Recipes The Wooden Spoon Effect has created!
If you are wanting an indulgent treat this fall, or let’s face it, any time of the year, then these Applesauce Brownie Bars are the recipe you have been searching for. Brownies are delicious, there is no question about that. But what makes the Applesauce Brownie Bars different from any other brownie you can make? The applesauce really transforms it. The flavor and the texture are just perfect.
You want a brownie to have that crumbly texture on the outside as you bite into it, but at that point, you want to be greeted by a soft and delectable center. This really is an incredible recipe and not only does it have everything you need in the brownie, but the cream cheese frosting just finishes it off perfectly. So if you want to find out how to make the Applesauce brownie bars with icing then read on to find out more.
*This site contains affiliate links which means that I may receive commissions for purchases made through these links. However, please know that I only provide links to products that I actually use and wholeheartedly recommend!
Ingredients Needed To Make Applesauce Brownie Bars With Icing
Here is everything that you need to create these incredible brownies.
Cream Cheese Frosting
How To Make Applesauce Brownie Bars With Icing
Now that you have all your ingredients together, it is time to bring the Applesauce Brownie bars to life. Here is the process to follow, and it is easier than you might think.
First of all, let’s start with the brownies.
- You will need to preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. At this point, it would also be a good idea to grease an 8×8-inch baking pan or line it with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together butter, brown sugar, and egg until smooth. You could do this by hand or use a hand or stand mixer if you prefer.
- Next up, gently stir in applesauce to make sure it is combined. Then add the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; stir into the applesauce mixture until well blended.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes until you notice that there is a crust across the top of the brownies.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack before adding the frosting.
- While the brownies are cooking or even when they are cooling you can get on with the frosting. In a small bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Mix in vanilla, then slowly mix in the confectioners’ sugar. Spread over cooled bars before cutting into squares.
There you have it, your Applesauce Brownie Bars with Icing.
Recipe Tips To Make Applesauce Brownie Bars
While the recipe is straightforward, it is always nice to have a few different tips and suggestions to make things easier. So here are some of the recipe notes and tips to help you out:
- Make sure you grease your baking tin or line it with parchment paper. This will stop the brownies from sticking to the pan.
- You should always give the brownies time to cool off before you add any frosting. This means that the frosting won’t melt all over the brownies and create one big mess.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
- Baking time may vary so from around 20 minutes you may want to check on the brownies to ensure they don’t burn. They may even need longer depending on your oven so use the 25 minutes as a rough guide.
- If children are helping make sure you supervise them if you are using appliances to help with the mixing.
Variations To Try With These Brownies
Like with many recipes there will always be variations to try. Here are a few suggestions.
- Why not consider adding some crushed M&Ms or chocolate chips on top of the cream cheese frosting? It would add another texture to the brownie and would look very effective.
- You can theme these applesauce brownies. Add a bit of edible glitter in your chosen color and they would be ideal to serve at a party.
- These will be great in a lunchbox for your little ones as a special treat at school.
- Why not add a slice of apple on top to finish off the brownies? You could also add a dehydrated apple slice so that the fruit doesn’t affect the texture of the cream cheese frosting but you still get all of the flavors.
Like with any recipe, there are often questions that need answering. I thought I would share some of the common questions here, but if you have any comments or questions please don’t hesitate to get in touch directly.
Why Use Applesauce?
In this recipe, the applesauce replaces the oil that you might find in normal brownies recipes. It helps not only to enhance the flavor but to get the desired texture that you want from a perfect brownie.
Can They Be Made Ahead Of Time?
Yes, they can be made ahead of time. You need to factor in the cooling time, so you may want to make these in the morning you want them or even a day or two beforehand. They store really well as long as you ensure they are stored correctly.
How Should I Store The Applesauce Brownie Bars?
You should store the Applesauce Brownie bars in an airtight container at room temperature. They will last for around 5 days. But I suspect they won’t last that long in your home.
Can I Freeze The Applesauce Brownie Bars After They Are Cooked?
You can freeze them. However, I would recommend freezing the brownies without the cream cheese frosting. You can freeze it as a whole or cut it into bars and then freeze it individually. You can always whip up a batch of cream cheese frosting when you defrost the brownies ready to eat. They will last up to 2 months in the freezer.
What You Might Need To Make This Recipe:
SWEEJAR Ceramic Baking Dish, 8 x 8 Cake Baking Pan for Brownie, Porcelain Square Bakeware with Double Handle for Casserole, Lasagna, Family Dinner (Turquoise)STAUB Ceramics Square Covered Baking Dish, 9×9-inch, WhiteFarberware Professional Plastic Mixing Bowls, Set of 3 (Aqua Coral)COOK WITH COLOR Mixing Bowls – 4 Piece Nesting Plastic Mixing Bowl Set with Pour Spouts and Handles (Ombre Blue)4 Pieces Silicone Mixing Spoon Heat Resistant Silicone Basting Spoon Utensil Spoon Non-stick Serving Spoon for Mixing, Baking, Serving and StirringTILUCK Stainless Steel Measuring Cups & Spoons Set, Cups and Spoons,Kitchen Gadgets for Cooking & Baking (4+6)
Need a good Applesauce recipe? Try one of these:
- Easy Applesauce Recipe- Crock Pot Recipe
- Diabetic Applesauce Recipe
- How To Make Applesauce In A Slow Cooker
- Easy Instant Pot Applesauce
Try one of our Applesauce Dessert Recipes!
- Applesauce Donuts
- Sugar Cookie Recipe with Applesauce
- Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies
- Applesauce Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
Things You Might Want For Your Kitchen:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 8x8 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together butter, brown sugar and egg until smooth. Stir in applesauce. Combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; stir into the applesauce mixture until well blended. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a small bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Mix in vanilla, then slowly mix in the confectioners' sugar. Spread over cooled bars before cutting into squares.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Hamilton Beach 6-Speed Electric Hand Mixer with Whisk, Traditional Beaters, Snap-On Storage Case, White
CINEYO Stainless Steel Measuring Cups and Spoons Set, 10-Piece Measuring Spoons and Cups With Colored Soft Silicone Handles - Complete Set of Measure Cups and Spoons For Cooking and Baking,
Pyrex 3 Piece Glass Mixing Bowl Set with 1, 1.5, 2.5 Quart Mixing Bowls for Kitchen, Baking, and Storage, Microwave, Freezer, and Dishwasher Safe , Proudly Made in the USA
Nutrition InformationYield 16 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 209Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 41mgSodium 201mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 0gSugar 18gProtein 2g
I am not a nutritionist. All nutrition values have been automatically generated. If you have questions, please have a professional look at the ingredients and help you with new values.