You don’t have to miss out on your favorite sugar cookies just because you’re cutting back on sugar! We’ve created a delicious way to enjoy a sweet treat without all the added calories and fat by offering this recipe for Swerve Sugar Cookies.
Keep reading to learn more about why you should give this new spin of an old classic recipe a try today! Or run over and try these cookies as well: Swerve Oatmeal Cookies.
*This site contains affiliate links which means that I may receive commissions for purchases made through these links. However, please know that I only provide links to products that I actually use and wholeheartedly recommend! I am a member of amazon services llc associates program.
Heart Shaped Decorated Sugar Cookies Ingredients:
All-Purpose Flour– Not sure which flour to grab for your baking needs? Go with the always reliable “all-purpose” variety! Genius bakers everywhere trust it, so you know you can’t go wrong.
Unsalted Butter- Get the sweetest baked goods every time! With this quality-control technique, you’ll always want to buy unsalted butter for baking and then add salt as needed – it’s like a secret ingredient for delicious desserts.
Salted Butter- Butter with the salt already included
Swerve, white sugar substitute
Egg- Not all eggs were created equal! For cookies with the perfect balance between chewiness and lift, reach for those large ones in your refrigerator. They’ll offer just enough structure to keep them together without spreading out too thin – leading to mouth-watering chewy treats every time.
Vanilla Extract– Give your sugar cookies an upgrade with Vanilla Extract! This special ingredient adds a delicious sweetness and takes them to the next level of flavor. Wow everyone’s taste buds – add some vanilla for that extra yum factor in every bite!
Swerve Buttercream Icing Ingredients:
- Swerve Confectioners Sugar
- Salted Butter (room temperature)
- Vanilla or Almond Extract
- Red or Pink Food Coloring (or any color of choice)
How To Make Heart Sugar Cookies With Swerve Sugar?
Get your oven preheating at 375 degrees, it’s time to make some delicious cookies!
Start by whisking together a delightful flour and salt mixture in the mixing bowl. Add in butter and Swerve sugar – then mix till it’s all fluffy. Beat an egg with vanilla extract into the concoction until you’ve got them perfectly combined.
Gradually add that yummy flour blend while keeping the mixer on low for just long enough until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl (be careful not to overmix!)
Remove the dough and place on plastic wrap, place a second piece of plastic wrap on top and let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes. Now roll out cookie dough with a roller until the thickness of the cookie dough is equally thick throughout.
Now, cut those babies out – place 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet… Then pop them in the oven for 12 mins before checking the edges ~ should be slightly browned!! And don’t worry if tops look undone because they were meant to come out like that. They will continue to brown as they cool on the cookie sheet.
Allow to cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack before removing. Cool completely before decorating.
How To Decorate Heart Sugar Cookies?
You won’t want to wait until the cookies cool down, because they just taste better when you add this delicious and colorful buttercream.
Whip up your favorite extract with some creamy butter in a bowl for 1 minute, then mix in Swerve powdered sugar by hand. To give it that fun look we all know and love – don’t forget to grab food coloring if desired!
Make sure everything is perfectly combined before piping out of the bag using a zig-zag pattern & finished off with festive sprinkles!
Does Buttercream Frosting On Cookies Need To Be Refrigerated?
Don’t panic! Your buttercream creations can stay on the countertop for a few days without needing to be refrigerated. The small amount of heavy cream, milk or cream mixed in with that hefty scoop of sugar creates an icing so stable you’d never expect such resilience from one biteful.
If you do not use all of your buttercream icing you can store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 5-7 days.
What Tools Are Needed For This Recipe:
KitchenAid KSM150PSAQ Artisan Series 5-Qt. Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield – Aqua SkyAirBake Natural 2 Pack Cookie Sheet Set, 16 x 14 inKatbite 75Pcs White Parchment Paper Sheets 12x16IN, Pre-Cut Heavy Duty Parchment Baking Paper, Non-Stick Half Sheet White Baking Parchment Paper for Air Fryer, Baking Cookie Pans, OvenKoogel 12 Inch Silicone Rolling Pin, Purple Rolling Pin Handle Rolling Pin Non-Stick Silicone Rolling for Home Kitchen CakeCookie Cutter Kingdom – Valentine’s Cookie Cutters – 3 Piece Set – Heart Cookie Cutters Shape – White, Pink, Red – Cookie Cutters Mold for Cakes Biscuits and Sandwiches (Heart – 3 Pack)10 PCS Plaque Frame Cookie Cutters Set Fondant Tiles Biscuit Cutter Molds for Cookie Fruit Shapes
More Delicious Cookie Recipes To Try:
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup salted butter
- ¾ cups Swerve, white sugar substitute
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Swerve Buttercream Frosting
- 1 ½ cups Swerve confectioners sugar
- ½ cup salted butter (room temperature)
- 2 tsp vanilla or 1 tsp almond extract
- Red or pink food coloring (or any color of choice)
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and salt mixture, set aside.
- In the mixing bowl, mix the butter and Swerve sugar until fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla until well combined.
- Gradually add in the flour mixture while the mixer is on low. Mix until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Do not overmix.
- Remove the dough and place on plastic wrap, place a second piece of plastic wrap on top. Let it rest for 10-15 minutes. Then using the roller with the thickness rings, roll out the dough until equal
- Use the cookie cutter to cut out each shape and place on the ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. Check the cookies after 12 minutes. Edges should be slightly brown. Tops may look undone but that is normal. They will continue to brown as they cool on the cookie sheet.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack before removing. Cool completely before decorating.
To decorate- whip the butter in a bowl for 1 minute. Hand mix the Swerve powdered sugar into the butter mixture until combined then add the vanilla or almond extract & use the hand mixer to fully incorporate until smooth.
- Add the food coloring if desired and as much to achieve the color shade desired.
- To use immediately, add to the piping bag and cut a small hole in the tip.
- Apply to the fully cooled cookies in a zig-zag pattern and add sprinkles
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.