Low Carb Green Chile Chicken Casserole
Find all of the Chicken Recipes The Wooden Spoon Effect has to offer located for you in one place!
This Low Carb Green Chile Chicken Casserole is the perfect comfort food! It’s the perfect dish to feed the entire family and they won’t even realize it’s low carb! Take it to potlucks, dinner parties, or make it for an easy dinner. It’s pretty irresistible and will keep you satisfied!
What’s In Low Carb Green Chile Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Breasts
- Chili Powder
- Ground Cumin
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Green Enchilada Sauce
- Diced Green Chiles
- Cream Cheese
- Monterey Jack Cheese
How To Make Low Carb Green Chili Casserole
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray nonstick cooking spray in a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Add the dry seasonings to a gallon sized freezer bag. Then place the chicken inside of the bag and toss to coat evenly.
- Pour the chicken into the prepared casserole dish. Make sure to create a single layer and leave a little bit of space between the pieces of chicken.
- Beat the cream cheese in a large mixing bowl. Continue to beat until it becomes soft and creamy. Then add half of the green enchilada sauce, sour cream, green chiles, and 1 cup of the shredded cheese. Spread over the chicken breasts.
- Drizzle the rest of the green enchilada sauce over the top of the cream cheese layer. Add the rest of the cheese.
- Place the chicken in the heated oven and cook for 45-50 minutes. The cheese should be meted and the edges should be bubbling when it’s done.
- Sprinkle with fresh cilantro, juicy tomatoes, black olives, and fresh avocado and enjoy!
Can I Use Chicken Thighs?
Yep! You can swap the chicken breasts for chicken thighs. You will need to find boneless skinless chicken thighs. No one wants to dig bones out of the enchilada casserole. 🙂 Other than swapping the meat, you will just need to follow the instructions as directed.
Can I Use Red Enchilada Sauce?
Sure, if you want to use red sauce you can. We love the flavor of the green enchilada sauce and if you haven’t tried it before this is the perfect recipe to start with. So don’t be afraid of the green sauce, it’s incredible. If you just can’t get yourself to use green sauce, go ahead and use red. However, it’s vital that you look for a brand that is free of added sugar or make homemade enchilada sauce.
How Long Will It Last In The Refrigerator?
Leftover chicken casserole with green chiles will last in the fridge for up to 4 days. So, it’s ideal if you are meal prepping. You can make it on Sunday and separate it into as many serving containers as you need. Then they are quick to grab whenever you need them.
Can You Freeze?
Yes, this easy low carb chicken casserole actually freezes very well. Place it in a freezer safe container and add a secure lid. It’s important to keep it air tight.
How Do You Reheat Low Carb Chicken Cheese Casserole?
Place the enchilada casserole on a microwave safe dish and cover with a damp paper towel. Heat it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until it’s hot all the way through.
More Delicious Dinner Recipes
Low Carb Green Chile Chicken Casserole
This Low Carb Green Chile Chicken Casserole is the perfect comfort food! 5
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (28 ounce) can green enchilada sauce*
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese, divided
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a (9x13) casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
In a gallon size freezer bag, shake together the dry seasonings. Add the chicken, sealing the bag. Toss the bag and knead the chicken until the spices are evenly distributed.
Dump the chicken into the casserole dish, creating an even layer with space between the chunks of chicken if possible.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until soft and creamy. Stir in half of green enchilada sauce, green chiles, sour cream and 1 cup of cheese. Spread over the chicken layer.
Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the cream cheese layer and top with remaining cheese.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through, the cheese has melted, and the edges are bubbling.
Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro, black olives, diced tomatoes, and diced avocado if desired.
Using a 28 ounce can of enchilada sauce leaves a lot of sauce in the final casserole, which is great for serving over cauliflower rice. If you desire a less soupy casserole, use a 14 ounce can
Yum! I love green chilies and this low carb chicken casserole really hit the spot! It was so delicious and I enjoyed every bite!
Easy to make, and we loved the extra sauce too!
This was total comfort food! I loved the creamy and spicy flavor!
This recipe completely took me back to my childhood. My mom used to make something similar and I always loved it. I will say, your recipe is even better (don’t tell her). I will definitely be making this again!
AWW… thanks and my lips are sealed. lol
My family absolutely loved this dish. This will be in regular rotation on our dinner table.
It’s on our rotation as well!