In this blog post, we’ll show you How To Make Warm Apple Cider with Alcohol using just a few simple ingredients.
It’s that time of year again when the leaves start changing colors, the weather starts getting cooler, and apple cider is everywhere. If you’re looking for a way to make your apple cider a little bit more special, then add some alcohol to it!
Warm Apple Cider will make you feel cozy from the inside out. Each sip will warm you with flavors of cinnamon, orange, apple, cloves, ginger, and brandy. Serve this mulled cider at all your holiday parties and get-togethers for an easy winter cocktail.
*This site contains affiliate links which means that I may receive commissions for purchases made through these links. However, please know that I only provide links to products that I actually use and wholeheartedly recommend!
What you need to make this Boozy Apple Cider Recipe
- Orange – I love the tangy goodness that the orange slices add to the hot apple cider.
- Apple – There is no doubt that the apple is the key ingredient to this spiked apple cider.
- Apple Cider – Head to your local market and pick up some prepared apple cider. It’s easy to spruce it up with the other ingredients.
- Cinnamon Sticks – Using cinnamon sticks will give you the ultimate experience. Plus, it looks beautiful in a mug when you serve it.
- Star Anise – The aroma and the way star anise tastes enhances the drink tremendously.
- Cloves – I love adding whole cloves to this apple cider drink recipe.
- Fresh Ginger – I highly recommend using fresh ginger instead of ground. It makes a huge difference on the way it turns out.
- Sparkling Apple Cider – This carbonated cider will transform your drinking into a bubbly piece of heaven.
- Brandy – I recommend about 1 ½ cups, but you could always add more or less depending on your preference.
- Cinnamon – Adding a sprinkle of ground cinnamon before serving makes a lovely garnish.
How To Make Boozy Apple Cider
- Heat the apple cider in a medium pot using medium-high heat.
- Stir in the apples, oranges, cinnamon sticks, cloves, ginger, and star anise.
- Once the cider begins to boil, let it simmer for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to blend together.
- Pour in the sparkling cider and let it simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and use a mashing tool to slightly mash all the ingredients together.
- Use a fine mesh strainer and pour the cider through it. Discard the pieces and pour the apple cider back into the pot.
- Mix in the brandy and garnish using a sprinkle of ground cinnamon, cinnamon sticks, and star anise.
Can I Make This Warm Apple Cider Recipe Kid Friendly?
Of course! It’s so easy to make it kid friendly. All you need to do is simply omit the brandy. I recommend if you are making a boozy apple cider for the adults and a regular cider for kids to serve them in different colored mugs. You don’t want a kiddo accidently getting ahold of the spiked mulled cider. ☺️
Is It Okay To Use Different Alcohol?
Yep! We love the flavor that the brandy adds to the winter cocktail. However, you can totally add in other alcohols if you’d rather. Some great options would be bourbon, rum, or vodka. Another fun option would be to use some sparkling wine and enjoy it chilled. This is a great option if you are serving it for brunch.
Variations To The Recipe
One of the main reasons I really love this drink is because there are other things you can do to adjust the style and way it tastes. Take a look at these ideas to get inspired.
- Cinnamon Sugar Rimmed Glass – Combine 2 tablespoons sugar and ½ tablespoon cinnamon in a shallow dish. Then take an orange and run it around the rim of the glass. Dip it in the cinnamon sugar mixture and enjoy!
- Orange Slices – When serving add in a few orange slices either on the cup, or in the cider itself. Cut fresh slices instead of what was cooked so it gives it a pop of color.
- Cranberries – Mix in a few fresh cranberries to the cider when you begin cooking it.
- Red Hots – Add in ½ cup or so of red hots to the mixture. You will need to stir it often. It gives you a punch of intense cinnamon flavored candy in every sip.
Things You Might Need To Make Warm Apple Cider with Alcohol
Goodful Ceramic Nonstick 6 Quart Stock Pot, Dishwasher Safe Pots and Pans, Comfort Grip Stainless Steel Handle, Made without PFOA, CreamGotham Steel Stock Pot with Ultra Nonstick Ceramic and Titanium Coating Includes Tempered Glass Lid – Dishwasher Safe, 7 Quart, Copper BlackFAAY Teak Wooden Utensils, Healthy Spoon and Spatula Handcraft from High Moist-Resistance Teakwood for Non Stick Cookware (Corner Spoon – Right Hand)Marshall’s Creek Spices Kosher Cinnamon Sticks Refill, 5 ozRani Star Anise Seeds, Whole Pods (Badian Khatai) Spice 1.25oz (35g) PET Jar ~ All Natural | Gluten Friendly | NON-GMO | Vegan | Indian OriginWoeber’s Pure Apple Cider Vinegar, 5% Acidity, 128 Ounces (1 Gallon Jug)
Give these other Cocktails a try!
Or drink it with these cookies!
- 1 Orange (slices)
- 1 Apple (quartered)
- 6 cups Apple Cider (can be pre-spiced or original, both taste great!)
- 3 Cinnamon Sticks
- 5 Star Anise
- 1 tbsp Cloves (whole)
- 1 inch Fresh Ginger (sliced)
- ¾ cup Sparkling Apple Cider
- 1½ cups Brandy
- Cinnamon (ground for garnish)
- In a medium pot over medium-high heat, pour in apple cider.
- Add in orange slices, quartered apples, cinnamon sticks, star anise, cloves, and ginger.(I didn’t bother peeling my ginger, I just sliced it pretty thickly and added it to the mixture)
- Bring mixture to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in sparkling apple cider and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and with a whisk or mashing tool, mash the mixture together slightly.
- Pour mixture through a fine mesh strainer and return to pot.
- Add in your brandy and garnish with ground cinnamon, star anise, and cinnamon sticks.
If you decide to serve cold, feel free to add a dash of sparkling cider for an extra bit of flavor and pop to your drink.
- The fresh ginger is the special ingredient in this. I tried a batch without it and it made ALL the difference!
- I put the brandy in last so it could be family friendly. I wanted to give the option to serve to kids first before making it more adult friendly. If you would rather make this completely adult friendly, the brandy can be added at the beginning with the apple cider or with the sparkling apple cider.
- The sparkling apple cider was put in there purely for a different flavor and not the bubbles. You won’t get any of the “sparkle” with it unless you add it to the drink after it’s been cooked
Nutrition InformationYield 18 Serving Size 2 cups
Amount Per Serving Calories 88Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 5mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 1gSugar 11gProtein 0g
I am not a nutritionist. All nutrition values have been automatically generated. If you have questions, please have a professional look at the ingredients and help you with new values.