Find all of our Best Fall Recipes in one location. You will love the different types of Fall Recipes The Wooden Spoon Effect has created!
Anytime of the year is a terrific time to enjoy this Vegan Butternut Squash Soup, but the cooler nights are when it shines. This recipe is quick to prepare, includes flavorful ingredients, and is healthful. It goes perfectly with a salad or a sandwich as a complete meal.
Ingredients For Vegan Squash Soup
- Butternut Squash
- Coconut Milk
- Lemongrass OR Lemon Zest
- Vegetable Stock
- Olive Oil
How To Make Squash Soup From Scratch
- Saute the aromatics, ginger, squash, and lemongrass.
- Add the stock and cilantro before allowing the mixture to boil.
- Blend with a hand blender and return to the heat before adding the coconut milk.
- Garnish, serve, and enjoy!
Butternut Squash Soup Health Benefits
Beta carotene is abundant in butternut squash and other yellow-hued fruits and vegetables. When beta-carotene becomes an antioxidant, it changes into vitamin A. For cell proliferation, vitamin A is essential.
The health and function of the eyes, heart, lungs, hair, and skin are also related to vitamin A. Vitamin C is also abundant in butternut squash. B and C vitamins are necessary for maintaining a person’s basic health. These minerals support the hydration and functionality of the muscles.
How To Break Down Butternut Squash?
Fruits with fibers include butternut squash. After removing the skin and seeds from a butternut squash, proceed as follows to disassemble it:
- Cut off both ends of the squash.
- With a sharp knife, cut the squash in half lengthwise from stem to base.
- Next, cut each piece of butternut squash crosswise into two pieces.
- Remove the seeds with your fingers or a spoon.
This is a perfect opportunity to use a bread or vegetable slicer if you have one so you can cut the butternut squash rather than chop it. This will make the vegan butternut soup recipe smoother. It will be a little simpler to handle if you cut it this way because butternut squash may be difficult to cut through.
How To Serve Roasted Butternut Squash Soup?
As a starter, side dish, or main course, this soup is fantastic. You can find me serving it with some wonderful crusty bread, like focaccia and avocado toast, when I make it the centerpiece of my meal!
Here are a few ideas:
Serve with freshly chopped black pepper or powdered thyme powder on top. If you like, you may serve this vegan butternut squash soup with a side of crispy flatbread.
This soup can be served as a lighter lunch by itself, with a sandwich, or in a bread bowl. I usually add some extra coconut milk, finely chopped chilies, or some shredded coconut to the top of my. Of course, this depends on the individual.
This silky soup can be prepared in numerous ways. In fact, if you want a wonderful soup for the warmer days, you could even eat it cold.
How To Store Butternut Squash Soup Vegan?
The vegan butternut soup can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 5 days in an airtight container. This recipe for butternut squash soup is also freezable, so you can defrost it later and consume it whenever you choose.
In the freezer, vegan butternut squash soup can be stored for up to three months.
What You Might Need To Make This Recipe:
Lodge EC6D33 Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven, 6-Quart, BlueCuisinart CSB-179 Smart Stick Variable Speed Hand Blender, Stainless SteelBAERFO 304 Kitchen Ladle, Soup Ladle,Cooking Ladle for Soup,Heat-proof Design of Hollow Handle,Stainless Steel Ladle for Cooking（4ouce/13.5 Inch)[Set of 8] Unbreakable Cereal Bowls 30 OZ Ramen Bowl Microwave and Dishwasher Safe BPA Free E-Co Friendly Deep Soup Bowl for Cereal, Salad, Soup, Rice
Butternut squash soup made without animal products is healthy to eat, and it tastes even better when served with some crunchy flatbread. In addition to being tasty, this vegan butternut soup also has some of the health advantages I stated before.
It’s time to gather the materials specified below and get started now that you are fully informed about butternut squash and how to make this vegan butternut squash recipe.
Other Great Soups On Our Site:
- Tex Mex Chicken and Rice Soup
- Chicken Chili Soup Recipe
- Easy White Bean Chicken Chili with Acorn Squash
- Easy Pumpkin Soup
- Easy Chili Recipe with Beans
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium size onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2.5lb butternut squash
- 1 lemongrass stalk, finely chopped (or 2 teaspoons lemon zest)
- 1 Tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Cilantro
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is soft and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the ginger and lemongrass. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the squash to the pot and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and cilantro. Bring to a low boil. Cook for 15 minutes or until the squash is tender enough for a fork to easily pierce. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the squash mixture until smooth.
- Return to the heat and add 3/4 of the can of coconut milk and reserve the rest for garnish. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with shaved coconut, chopped cilantro, and chopped chilies if desired.
- Instead of the butternut squash you can use any other pumpkin or squash in season. You can even use canned pumpkin and skip step 3.
- For added flavor, roast your squash for 10 minutes in the oven drizzled with some olive oil. Then add the squash to the soup and blend as instructed.
- Lemongrass can be found at most whole foods stores, or places that sell healthier options, such as health food stores. Walmart sometimes carries it as well.
- If you don’t want to use lemongrass or try to find it, simply use 2 teaspoons of lemon zest in its place.
- To thicken the soup, you can use a cornstarch slurry. Add a tablespoon of cornstarch with 2-3 tablespoons of the soup in a cup. Stir well before adding back to the soup. Allow to simmer a while longer until thickened a bit more.
- Store in an airtight container, once cool, in the fridge, for 4-5 days. Store in the freezer for 2-3 months, in an airtight container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
AVACRAFT Stainless Steel Saucepan with Glass Lid, Strainer Lid, Two Side Spouts for Easy Pour with Ergonomic Handle, Multipurpose Sauce Pan with Lid, Sauce Pot (Tri-Ply Capsule Bottom, 2.5 Quart)
CINEYO Stainless Steel Measuring Cups and Spoons Set, 10-Piece Measuring Spoons and Cups With Colored Soft Silicone Handles - Complete Set of Measure Cups and Spoons For Cooking and Baking,
LE TAUCI Cereal bowls 6 inch, House-warming Gift, Ceramic Embossment Stoneware Bowl for Soup, Dessert, Fruits, Salad, Noodle, Ramen - 22 oz, Set of 4, Arctic white
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 384Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 19gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 0mgSodium 693mgCarbohydrates 43gFiber 9gSugar 8gProtein 6g
I am not a nutritionist. All nutrition values have been automatically generated. If you have questions, please have a professional look at the ingredients and help you with new values.