The Best Vegan Lemon Bars Recipe is the ideal treat to entice your taste buds. Made with a delicious shortbread crust with an invigorating lemon filling, it’s the must-have dessert at all your summer gatherings. Not only are they pleasing to the eye, but they are also classy, sweet, and filled with vibrant flavor.
What You Need To Make The Best Vegan Lemon Bars Recipe
- Vegan Butter
- All-Purpose Flour
- Lemon Juice
- Lemon Zest
- Coconut Milk
- Turmeric (optional)
- Powdered Sugar (optional)
How To Make This Eggless Lemon Bars Recipe
- Start by adding parchment paper to an 8×8 inch pan. Then preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare the crust by combining the vegan butter, granulated sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Slowly add in the flour and stir until it’s combined. The dough is going to be thick. Use your fingers to press the dough into the baking pan until it’s even. Then bake for 16-18 minutes or until the edges have started to turn a very light brown color. Set aside to cool.
- Combine the lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, coconut milk, cornstarch, and turmeric in a medium sized saucepan to make the filling. Whisk well until the cornstarch has dissolved. Use medium heat and stir constantly until the sugar has dissolved and the filling has thickened.
- Carefully spread the filling over the baked crust and smooth out with a spatula. Then bake for 15 minutes. Take it out of the oven and let it cool for 30 minutes. Place in the refrigerator and cool for a minimum of 1 hour or leave it overnight so it can set up.
- Once set, lift the bars out of the pan using the parchment paper. Give the vegan lemon bars a dusting of powdered sugar. Cut them into 16 squares. Enjoy!
Can I Use A Different Kind Of Milk?
Sure! While I love the flavor of using coconut milk, it can be swapped for your favorite non-dairy milk. Almond milk, oat milk, and cashew milk would all be good choices. The flavor and texture are going to be slightly different if you make this adjustment, but this simple vegan lemon bars recipe is still going to be yummy!
Do I Have To Pre-Bake The Crust?
Yes, it’s vital that you prebake the crust. If you skip this step, the crust is going to be undercooked while the filling is done. This will lead to a crumbly and unflattering lemon bar. So, please don’t skip this step!
How Do I Cut The Bars Evenly?
Cutting these creamy lemon bars is fairly easy and straightforward. The biggest thing is making sure to wipe your knife after each cut. This will keep the bars from sticking to the crumbs on the knife, and it will glide much smoother.
How Long Do Lemon Bars Last?
Assuming you don’t eat them all right away, they make great leftovers and will last around 1 week! Keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
NOTE: After baking the bars, if you put them in the fridge too quickly, they are likely to have condensation build-up. This is normal. As they age in the fridge if there is water that forms, lightly dap it with a paper towel before eating.
Can You Freeze The Bars?
Yep! They freeze beautifully. Simply wrap them in plastic wrap and store them in an airtight container. They will last 2-3 months in the freezer.
Can’t Get Enough Desserts? Try These:
- FOR THE SHORTBREAD CRUST:
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- FOR THE LEMON FILLING:
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups full fat coconut milk
- 7 tablespoons cornstarch
- tiny pinch of turmeric
Preheat the oven to 350
Line an 8 x 8 pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil
For the Crust:
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the melted vegan butter, sugar, and salt. Stir in the flour until everything is well mixed. It will be a thick dough. With your hands, evenly and firmly press it into the pan. Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until gently browned around the edges.
For the Lemon Filling:
Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, coconut milk, and cornstarch to a medium pot, along with a tiny bit of turmeric. To dissolve the cornstarch, whisk vigorously. Stir continually over medium heat until the sugar melts and the mixture thickens.
Spread the filling evenly over the crust, smoothing with a spatula. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and cool for 30 minutes at room temperature. Refrigerate for another 1-2 hours, or overnight, until completely firm.
With the parchment paper, lift the bars out of the pan, dust generously with powdered sugar, and cut into 16 squares.
Nutrition InformationYield 16 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 232Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 15mgSodium 87mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 1gSugar 25gProtein 1g
I am not a nutritionist. All nutrition values have been automatically generated. If you have questions, please have a professional look at the ingredients and help you with new values.