The Best Enchilada Casserole is a classic dish that is easy to make on a busy weeknight.
The Best Enchilada Casserole, is wonderfully delicious, easy to make, and perfect for your weekly gathering of family and friends.
It happens from time to time to us all. Working, driving or having a conversation with someone and suddenly something stirs your memories and you’ll spend a few nostalgic moments of reflection. You will begin thinking about family traditions and all the memories that go along with those traditions. Something as innocent as a recliner makes me think of my dad and the Nightly News. Sometimes when I’m grilling burgers, I think of cookouts in the backyard when I was growing up. If I smell smoke from a campfire, I always remember childhood camping trips with my dad. Sugar cookies remind me of going to my grandmothers home…she always seemed to have fresh sugar cookies. Also when I smell pipe tobacco, I immediately think of my grandfather.
But here’s the awesome thing about traditions: we get to either continue those we love with our own families or create new ones. What better tradition for the family than…Mexican food night? Once a week, it’s pick a Mexican food recipe- gather the family and enjoy all while making lifetime memories. Recipes such as this one, The Best Enchilada Casserole, are wonderfully delicious, easy to make, and perfect for your weekly gathering of family and friends.
What you will need to make The Best Enchilada Casserole:
Green Chile Peppers
Toppings of Choice
The Best Enchilada Casserole is loaded with all the traditional enchilada ingredients. Therefore; your family will be treated to wonderful surprises as they discover all the various ingredients that have been added to give a unique and interesting experience. This casserole is sure to be a delight all who taste it. Black beans and pinto beans bring the heft to your enchilada. Finally, jam it full of onions, various peppers, zesty spices, lettuce and cheese, even olives, and then smother it with your special enchilada sauce. The memories won’t be the meal. But the great tasting dish, along with your weekly tradition, will create the atmosphere that everyone will remember. And, these enchiladas may even be that unforgettable!
Food is entwined within so many of my favorite memories of growing up, and the traditions I recall with fondness. May you and your family build upon and create many happy new memories! We invite you to try this recipe for your weekly Mexican food night, if you choose, or whenever you feel hungry for a great enchilada! Enjoy!
The Best Enchilada Casserole
This Enchilada Casserole is a classic dish that is easy to make on a busy weeknight.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 8 ounce Tomato Sauce
- 3/4 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 15 ounces Black Beans, (rinsed & drained)
- 15 ounces Pinto Beans, (rinsed & drained)
- 1 medium green pepper, (chopped)
- 1 medium onion, (chopped)
- 4 ounces green chile peppers, (undrained)
- 9 6 inch corn tortillas, ( cut into wedges)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, (shredded)
- cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a small saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Stir in tomato sauce, broth, chili powder, cumin, oregano and cinnamon. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine black beans, pinto beans, sweet pepper, onion and chile peppers; set aside.
- Coat a 2-quart rectangular baking dish with cooking spray. Spread 1⁄3 cup of the tomato sauce mixture on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Layer one-third of the tortillas on top of the sauce. Top with one-third of the bean mixture. Spread one-third of the remaining sauce over all.
- Sprinkle with 2⁄3 cup of the cheese. Repeat layers twice, starting with tortillas and setting aside the final 2⁄3 cup cheese.
- Cover with foil. Bake for 35 minutes. Sprinkle with the reserved 2⁄3 cup cheese. Bake, uncovered, about 10 minutes more or until cheese melts. If desired, top with lettuce, olives and/or chopped tomato.