Find all of our Best Smoked Meatloaf Recipes for you in one location. You will love the different types of Smoked Meatloaf The Wooden Spoon Effect has created!
Smoked Meatloaf With Cheese is oh so satisfying! Gooey cheese is the perfect surprise in the center of this moist meatloaf. We also add a shot of whiskey and make a homemade glaze that’s out of this world.
Smoked Meatloaf With Cheese Ingredients
- Ground Chuck
- Saltine Crackers
- Ground Mustard
- Mozzarella Cheese
For the homemade sauce:
- Brown Sugar
- Smoked Paprika
- Ground Mustard
How To Make Smoked Meatloaf With Cheese
1. Prepare the smoke by heating it to 250 degrees F for indirect smoking.
2. Mix the ground chuck, onions, garlic, eggs, crackers, milk, and whiskey together. Gently mix with your hands until ingredients are just combined.
3. Place half of the meatloaf on the bottom of a disposable pan. Then add a d layer of mozzarella cheese. Be sure to leave about an inch on each side, so the cheese doesn’t ooze out.
4. Add the remaining meatloaf and press the edges together to seal them tightly. Ensure there are no holes so the cheese doesn’t leak out.
5. Prepare the sauce by adding all the ingredients together in a bowl. Drizzle on top of the meatloaf.
6. Cook the meatloaf in the smoker for 1.5 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
7. Allow the meatloaf to rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Why You’ll Love This Smoked Meatloaf With Cheese
- Super easy to make.
- Tastes incredible.
- It only requires basic ingredients.
- The sauce is good enough to eat with a spoon.
- Use your favorite wood. We love to use hickory or oak wood. Some other delicious options are maple, pecan, peach, apple, or mesquite.
- Any whiskey will work. Typically, we reach for Jameson because we love the flavor; however, any kind of whiskey you have will work. Just use something you already love the flavor of because it’s going to be in the meat and the glaze.
- Save some sauce. If you hold back a little bit of the sauce, you can use it to dip the cooked meatloaf in! This certainly isn’t required, but it tastes really good.
Can I Use Different Meat?
While we recommend using ground chuck to get the best flavor and texture, you can certainly swap it with your favorite ground meat. Ground pork, chicken, or turkey are all great options. You could also use a combination of 2 types of meat as well.
Just keep in mind if you use different meat, it is going to alter the taste slightly.
Is It Okay To Use Different Cheese?
Sure! This smoked meatloaf with cheese is super versatile and goes well with many types of cheese. Mozzarella is our favorite, but you could also use provolone, cheddar, fontina, and gouda too. Use what you love to get the best results.
Can I Freeze Meatloaf?
Yep! I recommend cutting it into single servings then wrapping each one in plastic wrap. Then place all of the pieces inside of a larger freezer safe container. The meatloaf will last for around 4 months.
Defrost in the fridge overnight, then reheat and enjoy!
Other Smoked Meatloaf Recipes You Should Try:
and don’t forget to try our Smoked Meatloaf Glaze
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 15 saltine crackers, crushed
- ½ cup of onion, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 Tablespoons whiskey of choice (we used Jamesons)
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of ground mustard
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- FOR The Sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup whiskey
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat your smoker to 225 degrees F for indirect smoking. This meatloaf is awesome with hickory or oak wood.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground chuck, crackers, onion, garlic, eggs, whiskey,and milk. Mix gently with your hands until just combined. Don't overwork the meat or your meatloaf will be tough and chewy, just gently mix.
- Spread half of your meatloaf mixture on the bottom of a disposable pan. Layer on the mozzarella cheese, leaving about an inch of meatloaf on all sides. Top with the remaining meatloaf mixture and press the edges together to seal completely. Any exposed holes and the cheese will leak out while cooking.
- In a small bowl. combine the ingredients for the sauce and then pour over the top of the meatloaf, letting it run down the sides a little bit.
- Place the meatloaf on the smoker, close the lid, and smoke for 1.5 hours or until the internal temperature reads 165 degrees F. Let the meatloaf rest for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 482Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 159mgSodium 497mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 1gSugar 13gProtein 37g
I am not a nutritionist. All nutrition values have been automatically generated. If you have questions, please have a professional look at the ingredients and help you with new values.