There is nothing better than these Red, White, & Blue Cupcakes for all your patriotic parties and events. Whether you are hosting a 4th of July barbecue or want something special for Labor Day weekend, these cupcakes are perfect. They are soft, tender, and moist! Plus, you can even get the kids involved with decorating too.
*This site contains affiliate links which means that I may receive commissions for purchases made through these links. However, please know that I only provide links to products that I actually use and wholeheartedly recommend!
What You Will Need For Red, White & Blue Cupcakes
- White Cake Mix
- Vegetable Oil
- White Frosting
- Red & Blue Gel Food Coloring
- Red & Blue Sprinkles
- Piping Bag with Decorating Tips (optional)
How To Make Red, White & Blue Cupcakes
- Using the directions on the cake mix package, preheat the oven.
- Prepare the cake batter according to the directions on the package.
- Divide the cake batter evenly and place it into 3 separate bowls.
- Take the gel food coloring and make one bowl of cake batter blue, one red, and leave one white.
- Add cupcake liners to a pan.
- Place one tablespoon of blue cake batter into the cupcake liners.
- Add one spoon of the white cake batter into each cupcake liner.
- Then add one tablespoon of the red batter into each liner.
- Bake the cupcakes according to the packaging directions. When they are done, a toothpick should be inserted into the middle and come out dry. Cool the cupcakes completely.
- Place the white frosting into a piping bag or use a spatula to add it to the cupcakes.
- Add your favorite patriotic sprinkles to finish the look.
- Serve and devour!
Red, White, & Blue Cupcake FAQs
Can You Use A Homemade Cake Recipe?
Absolutely! If you have a homemade cupcake recipe you want to use, feel free to use that. You’ll need to follow the directions and prepare the batter as directed. Then add the food coloring like we recommend for this recipe. They are going to be super tasty no matter if you use homemade cake or boxed cake mix. So, go with what you like best.
Can I Make Mini Cupcakes?
Yep! Mini cupcakes are fun and bite-sized so they are always a hit at parties. Instead of adding 1 tablespoon of each of the colors to each cupcake liner, you will need to use 1 heaping teaspoon of each color. Then there will be the perfect amount of batter in each cupcake. I recommend if you are decorating with a piping bag you use a small star tip.
Can You Use Flavored Cake Mix?
Yes and no. You can use a cake mix that is white such as French Vanilla. It will taste good and won’t take away from the white that goes with the red and blue. Yellow cakes or fruity cakes like strawberry may taste great, but the color is going to be off. If you don’t want at white layer you can simply divide it into 2 bowls and just use the red and blue. However, strawberry cake batter is going to result in more of a purple and pink color instead of red and blue. So, it really depends on what you want the cupcakes to look like in the end. If you’re going for red, white, and blue, then using a cake that isn’t white is not going to be your best decision.
More Drool Worthy Desserts
- 1 box white cake mix
- Vegetable oil & eggs per package directions
- 1 tub white frosting
- Red & blue gel food coloring
- Red & blue sprinkles
- Preheat oven per cake directions
- Prepare cake mix per package directions
- Equally divide the batter into 3 separate bowls
- Using the gel food coloring dye one bowl red and one bowl blue, leave one bowl white
- Prepare cupcake tin with liners
- Starting with the blue batter spoon about 1 tablespoon of batter into the all the liners
- Next spoon in the white batter
- Lastly spoon in the red batter
- Bake until a toothpick in the center comes out clean, cool completely
- Spoon the frosting into a piping bag or simply spread it on with a spatula
- Use the red and blue sprinkles to finish the decorating
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Saebye Cookie Scoop Set, 3 Pieces Ice Cream Scoop Set, 0.8 OZ/ 1.4OZ/ 2.7OZ, Large-Medium-Small Size Disher Scoop, Portion Scoop, Cookie Scoops for Baking for Cookie Dough, Cupcake Batter or Ice Cream
2 Pack - Zilpoo Plastic Food Storage Containers with Lid, Refrigerator, Freezer Covered Cake Keeper, Cupcake Carrier, Christmas Cookie Holder, Lunch Box, 169 oz.
Wilton Perfect Results Premium Non-Stick Bakeware Muffin Pan & Cupcake Pan, 12-Cup, Steel
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 47Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 16mgSodium 29mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 0gSugar 3gProtein 1g
I am not a nutritionist. All nutrition values have been automatically generated. If you have questions, please have a professional look at the ingredients and help you with new values.