Hearty Chili Mac and Cheese Recipe is easy, satisfying, and comes together quickly. A bowl piled high with pasta, beans, ground beef, cheesy goodness, and topped with sour cream and cilantro is hard to beat. The incredible flavors are pleasing to even the pickiest of eaters.
Chili Mac and Cheese Ingredients
- Macaroni Pasta
- Bell Pepper
- Ground Beef (or turkey)
- Red Chili Powder
- Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- Tomato Sauce
- Chicken Broth
- Kidney Beans
- Black Beans
- Cheddar Cheese
- Monterey Jack Cheese
- Sour Cream
How To Make Chili Mac and Cheese
- Follow the packaging directions on the pasta and cook it. Drain, then set aside.
- Cook ground beef, onions, bell pepper and garlic in an oven safe pot.
- Mix in the beans, broth, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and seasonings to the ground beef mixture.
- Bring the chili mac to a boil, then lower to a simmer.
- Add in the cooked pasta and stir well.
- Add half of the cheddar and Monterey jack cheese then stir.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top, then broil until the cheese is bubbly and has browned.
- Top with your favorite garnishes like jalapeños, cilantro and sour cream. Enjoy!
Why You’ll Love This Chili Mac and Cheese
- It’s a family favorite recipe.
- You can make it in under 30 minutes.
- It has lots of gooey cheese!
- The combination of mac and cheese and chili is insanely good.
- You’ll get an explosion of flavor with every bite.
- It’s a one-pot meal and cleanup is a breeze.
What Goes With Chili Mac and Cheese?
This chili mac cheese is actually super filling and you don’t even need to serve it with anything. However, we will often make a big veggie salad, some crusty bread, and some roasted veggies. Make whatever you like and you really can’t go wrong.
Can You Cook Chili In An Instant Pot?
Yes, you can make this chili mac in your Instant Pot. It’s a convenient way to make it and it really tastes fantastic too.
- You will need to sauté the ground beef, onions, peppers, and garlic first.
- Next, add uncooked macaroni noodles on top of the ground beef. Add in 3 – 3 ½ cups of water. Make sure that the pasta is covered with water.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the cheese and toppings. Add the lid and cook on manual/high for 4 minutes. Then complete a quick release.
- Take the lid off and stir well. Add in half of the cheese and stir. Then you can pour it into a casserole dish and top with the rest of the cheese. Broil and serve once the cheese is melted and golden brown.
Can I Freeze Chili Mac and Cheese?
Yep, it actually freezes really great. Place the cooled chili mac n cheese in a freezer safe container. Make sure the lid fits tight and place it in the freezer. It will last up to 3 months. You’ll need to thaw it before reheating. It’s easiest if you thaw in the fridge overnight, but you can also defrost it in the microwave.
To reheat, place in a microwave safe dish and cover with a paper towel. Heat for 1-2 minutes, stir and repeat until it reaches the desired temperature. You can also reheat in a skillet on medium-low heat. Add some more cheese and toppings before serving.
Looking For More Comfort Food? Try These:
- 1 ½ cups dry macaroni pasta, cooked & drained
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- ½ bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can light kidney beans
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Jalapeno slices, sour cream, and cilantro for garnish if desired
- Cook pasta per package directions, drain, set aside
- In a large oven safe pot cook ground meat with onions, bell pepper, and garlic - drain if needed
- Stir in seasonings, tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, broth, and beans
- Bring to a boil, then lower to simmer
- Add in cooked pasta, stir until well combined
- Stir in half of both cheeses
- Top with remaining cheeses
- Broil on low until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned
- Garnish with jalapeno slices, cilantro, sour cream if desired
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 436Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 94mgSodium 697mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 7gSugar 3gProtein 34g
I am not a nutritionist. All nutrition values have been automatically generated. If you have questions, please have a professional look at the ingredients and help you with new values.